Wednesday 7 October 2009

Cambridge Diary I

Despite the title, it has to start with Singapore. After years of not so pleasant tropical heat, I am going to a place with an even worse reputation in terms of weather. The smog is so bad that the Chinese translate of “Oliver Twist” is 雾都孤儿, which means “orphan in a city of smog”. Actually I don't believe in all these. My 9 months stay in Brighton ten years ago convinced me. It might just be London, or not even London nowadays.

Many people would disagree with me, but I still have to say nonetheless. Weather would not be an obstacle if you want to achieve something. The years of humidity and thunderstorm have made me a tougher and more independent person. It has nurtured me, to appreciate things you have instead of chasing dreams that are never going to come true. On the island that is shaped like a boat, I have chartered a journey with my youth. And somehow ironically I'm sailing away, literally.

I would really like to thank everybody whom I have crossed path with. I may not look like a friendly person, but I am really inside. I may have offended you and have not apologized you, please tell me if you are among them, as seriously I am really bad with such things. There are may be so many other occasions that friction would have occurred, but there seems so little time to amend or repair.

To those people who have come to send me off, I would like to say a big thank you. You have helped me to go the next phase of my life with a lot of confidence. There is still a place for me if I fail or fall back. I am undeterred by the challenges, especially with so much support.

No comments: