Thursday 7 June 2007

ubuntu Feisty Fawn

A few weeks ago tried out Ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn. It's a Linux operating system. What an experience it gives me. The interface is striking and dazzling, and the architecture is simple and light. At the start, it gives a very good feel.

As I explores deeper into it, it somehow tires me with its difference with windows. There is such a huge demand to memorise computing commands to be "in control". No such thing as .exe file, no "download and run" kind of feeling. It is more like MSDOS with a colourful interface forced onto it. I think its a big reason why linux is not big on personal computing.

But as I get over the first waves of shock, all the benefits start to show. Just like stinky tofu, after overcoming the pungent smells, the delicious food is all mine to devour. Fast and furious, it doesn't eat into my system memory unnecessarily. There are great bundles of free softwares and on-the-fly installation system, and thus I get exactly what I want. No anti-virus, anti-spyaware, anti-malware, anti-Trojan horse, anti-key loggers, anti-adware, anti-scumware, whatever you name it, needed.

Not only I got a fair share of my curiosity satisfied, and conscience cleared, as the entire system is free, legally.

Still the switch back is inevitable. The lure of Dota and my printer (it doesn't work with linux) proved too much to resist. After installing windows xp back (nearly cannot switch back due to system error), I got unique feeling: I just alighted from a manual car produced in 2050, and got on to a auto car produced in 1950.

No comments: